Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The place where wishes come true


We cry when something is sad. Then we often shed a tear when something's beautiful as well. When something is funny or ugly, we laugh. Perhaps we are sad when something is beautiful because we know that it won't last for ever.
- Jostein Gaardner, Through a Glass, Darkly
Clannad and its After Story form the best anime that I’ve ever watched in my life. Really, it is this amazing. The last time I cried so much while watching a show was probably during One Litre of Tears, which was so heartwrenching and touching that every episode was literally a tearjerker. I don’t know how these cartoon characters in Clannad made me cry so much and so hard that my eyes hurt. Be it happy moments, sad moments, or bittersweet moments, some scenes are just.. too exquisitely beautiful. At times, a mere song was all it took for the tears to fall. One day, maybe ten years later, I may find myself rewatching this entire series and looking back on these younger days with nostalgia. As much as my feelings towards the characters and perceptions of the story may change with time, I know that there will always be the same timeless parts, where I’ll laugh and cry my heart out all over again, no matter how many ten years later.