My after-lab and before-sleep hours are spent on drama marathons, because there really isn't much alternative entertainment in this town. It's been a while since I can watch dramas with no abandon, and it feels so good to be able to finish watching what I have long been wanting to watch!
I finished watching black&white aka pi zi ying xiong on Sunday! This action drama practically doubled my average heart rate and gave me so many nonsensical nightmares. The show centres around these two officers who are polar opposites in character -and hence black and white-, working together to make sense of the heinous crimes that plague their country. It's not a typical Taiwanese ou xiang ju (though it is abound with many shuai ges, like my favourite xiao ma!!!), and in many ways similar to Mars, this show has emerged to be so much better than the stereotype. The plot is absolutely insane, but it is just so compelling. I don't usually appreciate action movies and thrillers as much because they almost always focus too much on creating all that rush and excitement via plots full of twists and turns, without much room for character development. So to me, they seldom leave strong impressions and are easily forgotten. Maybe because black&white is a drama instead of a movie, there is so much more time to mould the characters into shape, and sometimes I feel so attached to some of the characters that I almost feel as if we were fighting on the same front against the same enemy together. I also like how the recurring theme of black vs white penetrates all elements of the show; not just in terms of characters, but also the plot, and the many juxtapositions and contradictions about how clear-cut life is (or is not).
When the drama ended, it left me feeling so empty, and to quench all withdrawal symptoms, I continued watching Clannad, an anime that is so beautiful and touching, and simply hilarious at times. I'm almost reaching the end of Season 1, and I really like it so much. Many video comments say that the After Story, which is the sequel to this, is even better, and one just has to keep watching. I really love the dango daikazoku song that is the epitome of the pure sweetness of this anime. It always reminds me of my family and it is impossible not to smile whenever it starts playing. It is so cute and happy and full of hope and love!なかよしだんご 手をつなぎ 大きなまるい轮になるよ
町をつくり だんご星の上 みんなで笑いあうよ
うさぎもそらで手をふってみてる でっかいおつきさま
うれしいこと 悲しいことも 全部まるめて <3
町をつくり だんご星の上 みんなで笑いあうよ
うさぎもそらで手をふってみてる でっかいおつきさま
うれしいこと 悲しいことも 全部まるめて <3
My favourite episode thus far is #14, because it touched me so deeply, and I will never forget the meaning behind this message.
You must not deny your eyes the beauty of this world.
This world is composed of countless harps that cannot be seen by the naked eyes.
The world is filled with harps,and each one plays a different tune.
All those tunes intertwine with each other and a unique melody is born.
That's why the world is so beautiful.
- Kotomi's father, Clannad #13 (Allusion to the String Theory?)

